Here are the highlights from this afternoon’s rain-soaked practice at Virginia Mason Athletic Center:
- Wideout Golden Tate had a big day, showing his wet-ball catching skills in many ways. On one bullet over the middle, he deftly used his torso to help reel in the pass, and then on the final play of the day, he broke free deep downfield to run under a rainbow from Charlie Whitehurst and scamper into the end zone.
- Tight end Cameron Morrah had two fantastic catches, one in 7-on-7 drills and the other in team period. The latter came when he dove headfirst over the middle to haul in the rifle pass from Charlie Whitehurst.
- Whitehurst, who received a majority of the snaps with Matt Hasselbeck resting, lofted a perfect ball to wideout Deon Butler on a corner route to the left sideline during 11-on-11 drills.
- Linebacker David Hawthorne turned in two especially notable plays Saturday. On the first, he broke up a short pass intended for receiver Mike Williams by wrestling the ball out before Williams could gain control. Then, he speedily came off the edge on a blitz to sack the quarterback from behind.
- During a two-minute drill, Justin Forsett made something out of nothing when he took a screen pass and scooted upfield for a big gain. Then near the end of practice, the shifty tailback produced a cut-filled run that had the crowd cheering.
- In team period, wideout Ruvell Martin soared up to snag a high ball for a great catch over the middle.
- Receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh had an impressive reception between defenders downfield in team period.