April Madness: Warner vs. Galloway

Yesterday: Defense won out over offense, as former first-round draft choice and Ring of Honor defensive end Jacob Green advanced to the second round in his matchup against former fourth-round pick and six-time leading rusher Chris Warren.

Green, the franchise’s all-time leader in sacks, garnered 78 percent of the responses, or 658 votes. Warren, who led the AFC in rushing (1994) and rushing touchdowns (1995), got the other 22 percent, or 183 votes.

Green now runs into former first-round pick and league MVP Shaun Alexander in the second round.

Today: Day 8 delivers a matchup of need vs. speed.

When Chuck Knox took over as coach in 1983, he needed a franchise back to feature in his “Ground Chuck” offense. Knox didn’t settle for just any back, he orchestrated a trade to land one of the best backs in that year’s draft class – Curt Warner.

The move was costly, as the Seahawks traded their first-, second- and third-round picks to the Houston Oilers to move into the third spot to select Warner – QB John Elway was the first pick overall, by the Baltimore Colts; and Eric Dickerson went No. 2 to the Los Angeles Rams. But Warner was just what Knox – and the Seahawks – needed.

He led the AFC in rushing attempts (335) and yards (1,449) as a rookie, as the Seahawks advanced to the conference championship game. Warner missed the 1984 season after tearing a knee ligament in the first half of the opener. But he returned in 1985 to rush for 1,094 yards and then added conference-leading totals of 1,481 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns in 1986.

Warner left the Seahawks after the 1989 season as the franchise’s all-time leader in attempts (1,649), rushing yards (6,705) and rushing touchdowns (55) – totals since surpassed by Alexander.

A three-time All-Pro and Pro Bowl selection, Warner entered the Ring of Honor in 1994.

Now comes the speed, and it’s the blur that was Joey Galloway – a wide receiver who arrived as a first-round draft choice in 1995 and left in 2000 in a trade with the Dallas Cowboys that provided two first-round picks (which the Seahawks used to select Alexander and tackle Chris McIntosh).

In his short time with the Seahawks, however, Galloway flaunted his speed. In his first season, he set franchise rookie records for receptions (67), receiving yards (1,039) and 100-yard games (three). In a game against the Jaguars in Jacksonville that season, he scored on two receptions (38 and 23 yards) and a run (86 yards) while compiling 237 all-purpose yards. Galloway led the team in receptions in 1996-98, catching 72 passes for 1,049 yards and 12 touchdowns in 1997.

He ranks sixth in club history in receptions (283), fifth in receiving yards (4,457) and third in TD catches (37). Galloway also returned punts, gaining 823 yards (No. 5 all-time) on 79 returns (No. 4) with a franchise-record four scoring returns.

A running back who filled a glaring need? Or a wide receiver who put his speed to productive use as a receiver, runner and returner? You make the call.

Tomorrow: Jeff Bryant vs. Cortez Kennedy


Comments Off on April Madness: Warner vs. Galloway

%d bloggers like this: