Happy Seahawks Blue Friday, 12s!
Our normal writer for this segment is under the weather this week with a severe case of football withdrawals. We here at Seahawks.com hope he gets well soon (for my sake especially). You can send him your well-wishes and get-wells at @tonydrovetto.
Anyway, back to the lecture at hand, it feels like forever since we last stepped foot on CenturyLink Field but the days are slowly counting down to the start of 2013. Michael Bennett days until the Seahawks kickoff the 2013 regular season against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. That’s 72 days for those of you who may be unfamiliar with our not-so-unfamiliar free agent defensive end signed from Tampa Bay. Fortunately, it’s not 96 days until kickoff as was the number Bennett wore the first time he was with us as an rookie free agent out of Texas A&M.
But even with 72 days remaining until kickoff, there’s less than a month’s wait until players report back to VMAC for Seahawks Training Camp presented by Bing on July 25. To help us cope in these final days without football, here’s a detailed look at what’s going on this week, June 28 – July 5, with your Seattle Seahawks:
Friday, June 28:
- Voting for The ESPYS started yesterday and will continue through the start of the show on July 17 at 6 p.m. PT on ESPN. Russell Wilson is up for Breakthrough Athlete of the Year.
- Free safety Earl Thomas kicks off his football camp for kids in Orange, Texas along with other members of the Legion.
- Second-year cornerback DeShawn Shead celebrates his 25th birthday – you can wish Shead #HappyBirthday on Twitter @dshead24.
- Clare Farnsworth’s positional series kicks back up with a look at Zach Miller and the team’s tight ends.
Saturday, June 29:
- Thomas’ camp finishes in Texas, Wilson’s Passing Academy makes it way to Madison, Wis. and defensive end Cliff Avril hosts his inaugural youth football camp in Green Cove Springs, Fla.
- Kicker Steven Hauschka celebrates his 28th birthday.
- The 16th annual Rookie Symposium in Aurora, Ohio comes to a close. All 254 members of the 2013 NFL Draft class reported to the symposium to learn about life in the NFL prior to training camp starting up in late July.
Sunday, June 30:
- Wilson wraps up his Passing Academy in Madison, Wis. and then heads back to Washington for camps in Spokane and Seattle.
Monday, July 1:
- Farnsworth continues his positional previews with a look at the big uglies up front who will be tasked for making holes and keeping Russell Wilson off his back – a look at the 2013 offensive line.
Tuesday, July 2:
- Positional preview series focus turns to the defensive line and how Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant will look given all the new additions along the line.
Wednesday, July 3:
- On the eve of our nation’s 237th birthday, Farnsworth examines the position with the biggest question mark but with the biggest upside. Young Bobby Wagner who just celebrated his 23rd birthday leads an equally young linebacking corps.
Thursday, July 4 – Independence Day:
- Drovetto returns with a feature on America, football, and the Seahawks. It may bring a tear to your eye and a fire to your cracker.
- Be safe. Be loud. Have a great 4th of July, America!
Friday, July 5:
- Linebacker Malcolm Smith is the other veteran on our defensive midfield and today, at 24, he is officially a year older than counterpart Bobby Wagner who celebrated 23 on June 27. Wish him a #HappyBirthday at @MalcSmitty.
- On a throwback Friday, Farnsworth catches up with former Seahawks defensive end Patrick Kerney who went back to school to get his MBA. What is he doing now?
- Drovetto will be back this Friday to help you countdown the week of Jake Bscherer days until the Seahawks 2013 season kicks off!