Happy Summer Solstice, Seahawks fans.
But wait, hold on. Did you know that while your calendars mark today – Friday, June 21 – as the first official day of summer, those of us on the West Coast actually made the jump from spring to summer late Thursday night? The change of season occurred at 1:04 a.m. ET – that’s 10:04 p.m. PT. So technically, those of us here on the left side of the states were finally able to experience something before our east coast friends. Take that little tidbit to whatever weekend gathering you’ve got on deck.
Now, let’s get to some football – sort of. As defensive end Red Bryant lets you know in our graphic above, there are just 79 days until the Seahawks kickoff the 2013 regular season against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. And to help us cope with life without football, here’s a detailed look at what’s going on next week, June 23-28, with your Seattle Seahawks:
Sunday, June 23:
- Quarterback Russell Wilson hosts his Passing Academy in Richmond, Va. Spokane and Seattle camp dates with Wilson are coming next month.
- Rookie running back Christine Michael and rookie tight end Luke Willson will be on hand for the Seahawks Family Football Fest at CenturyLink Field.
Monday, June 24:
- The 16th annual Rookie Symposium starts up in Aurora, Ohio, where all 254 members of the 2013 NFL Draft class will report to learn about life in the NFL prior to training camp starting up in late July. AFC rookies are scheduled to report June 23-26 with NFC rookies following suit June 26-29.
- Seahawks rookies are scheduled to workout at Virginia Mason Athletic Center.
- Our resident reporter Clare Farnsworth will start up a well-deserved and hard-earned three-week vacation. But the football-content-starved fear not, as Farnsworth has graciously left us with a slew of stories previewing the upcoming season to run in his absence. First up is part one of his nine-part positional series with a look at the club’s quarterbacks – namely, second-year signal caller Russell Wilson.
Tuesday, June 25:
- Seahawks rookies are scheduled to workout at VMAC.
- Farnsworth’s positional series continues with a look at the running back group.
- Wilson’s Passing Academy changes venues, as he hosts day one of his two-day camp in Raleigh, N.C.
Wednesday, June 26:
- Seahawks rookies are scheduled for their final workout at VMAC before training camp – their pre-training-camp break begins shortly thereafter.
- Farnsworth will highlight the club’s wide receivers in his positional series.
- Wilson’s Passing Academy continues in Raleigh, N.C.
Thursday, June 27:
- Middle linebacker Bobby Wagner celebrates his 23rd birthday. Be sure to wish last year’s AP Defensive Rookie of the Year runner-up a happy birthday on Twitter @Bwagz54.
- The first of nine Gatorade Junior Training Camps takes place at Cedar River Park in Renton, Wash.
- Farnsworth will take a break from the positional series on this “Throwback Thursday” – chronicling cornerback Richard Sherman’s time as a track star at Dominguez High School in Compton, Calif.
Friday, June 28:
- Free safety Earl Thomas kicks off his football camp for kids in Orange, Texas.
- Second-year cornerback DeShawn Shead salutes his 25th birthday – you can wish Shead happy-quarter-of-a-century on Twitter @dshead24.
- Farnsworth’s positional series kicks back up with a look at the team’s tight ends.
Saturday, June 29:
- Thomas’ camp continues in Texas, Wilson’s Passing Academy makes it way to Madison, Wis. and defensive end Cliff Avril hosts his inaugural youth football camp in Green Cove Springs, Fla.
- Kicker Steven Hauschka celebrates his 28th birthday.